“Others” [i.e Applicants not belonging to SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs, BCs and BCMs]
Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Caste (Arunthathiyars), Scheduled Tribes, Most Backward Classes / Denotified Communities, Backward Classes, Backward Classes (Muslims) and Destitute Widows of all categories.
For all posts (Except Sub-Registrar Grade – II, Probation Officer in Prison Department and Social Defence Department)
No Maximum Aage Limit
Sub-Registrar Grade - I
Probation Officer in Prison Department
Probation Officer in Social Defence Department
Applicants not belonging to SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs, BC(OBCM) and BCM who have put in five years and more of service in the State/Central Government are not eligible even if they are within the age limit.
No maximum age limit shall mean that the applicants should not have completed 58 years of age either on the date of notification or at the time of selection/appointment to the post.
(i) For Differently Abled Persons
Differently Abled Persons are eligible for age concession up to 10 years over and above the maximum age limit prescribed.
(ii) For Ex-Servicemen
(a) The maximum age limit for ex-servicemen is 48 years.
(b) The above mentioned age concession will not apply to the ex-servicemen applicants who have already been recruited to any class or service or category.
Applicants should possess the following or its equivalent qualification awarded by any University or Institution recognized by the University Grants Commission or the State Board, as the case may be.
(According to G.O.Ms.No.139, Personnel and Administrative Reforms (Per.M) Department, dated 07.10.2009, the applicants who possess the professional degree are eligible to this recruitment except for the posts of Industrial Co-Operative Officer in the Industries and Commerce Department, Assistant Section Officer in Law Department in Secretariat, Assistant Section Officer in Finance Department in Secretariat, Assistant Section Officer Cum- Programmer in Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission and Revenue Assistant in the Revenue Department in various Revenue Units- Annexure V)
Knowledge in Tamil
Applicants should possess adequate knowledge in Tamil
Certificate of Physical Fitness
Applicants with defective vision should produce an eye fitness certificate from a qualified eye specialist.
How to Apply:
1. Applicants should apply only through online mode in the Commission’s websites www.tnpsc.gov.in / www.tnpscexams.net / www.tnpscexams.in
2. One Time Registration (OTR) and applicant Dashboard are mandatory before applying for any post. Applicant should register only once in the One Time Registration by paying Rs.150/- as registration fee. Successfully registered One Time Registration is valid for 5 years from the date of Registration. All the applications should be submitted using the One Time Registration ID and password registered by the applicant.
3. For applying in One Time Registration, the applicants should have a scanned image of their photograph, certificates wherever insisted and signature in CD/DVD/Pen Drive to upload the photo, certificates, and signature.
4. Applicants who have already registered in One Time Registration on or before 29.09.2015 shall use their existing user ID and Password to create applicants Dashboard in the new One Time Registration system. No applicant is permitted to create more than one registration ID in One Time Registration.
5. Enter the Unique ID and password to view the already available information and update them.
6. One Time Registration is not an application for any post. It is just a collection of information from the applicants and giving a separate dashboard to each applicant to facilitate them to maintain their own profile. The applicant who wishes to apply for this recruitment shall click “Apply” against the recruitment notified in the Commission’s website using the same USER ID and PASSWORD given for ONE TIME REGISTRATION.
7. Select the name of the post or service for which the applicant wishes to apply.
8. Applicants are required to upload their photograph and signature as per the specifications are given in the Guidelines for Scanning and Upload of Photograph and Signature.
9. An online application uploaded without the photograph, specified documents and signature will be rejected.
10. All the particulars mentioned in the online application including name of the applicant, post applied, educational qualifications, communal category, date of birth, address, e-mail ID, the centre of examination, etc. will be considered as final and no modifications will be allowed after the last date specified for applying online. Since certain fields are firm and fixed and cannot be edited, applicants are requested to fill the online application form with the utmost care and caution as no correspondence regarding change of details will be entertained.
11. Print Option
a) After submitting the application, applicants can print/save their application in PDF format.
b) On entering User ID and password, applicants can download their application and print, if required.
c) Need not send the printout of the online application or any other supporting documents to the Commission. The application and certificates will be verified only when the applicants come up for the next stage of selection.
12. One Time Registration will not be considered as an application for any post.
Upload of Documents
Applicants must upload/submit the documents whenever called for specifically.
Last Date for Submitting Application
The Online Application can be submitted up to the correct date till 11.59 p.m., after which the link will be disabled.
Applicants who have already registered in One Time Registration system within the validity period of five years are exempted.
For Preliminary Examination only
For Main Written Examination
The Examination fee should be paid at the time of submitting the online application for this recruitment if they are not eligible for the fee concession noted below.
Examination Fee Concession:
Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Caste (Arunthathiyars) and Scheduled Tribes
Differently Abled Persons, Destitute Widow of all Communities
(i) For Differently Abled Persons, the disability should be not less than 40%.
(ii) For DWs, the DW certificate should have been obtained from the RDO / Sub Collector / Assistant Collector.
Most Backward Classes / Denotified Communities, Backward Classes (Other than Muslims) and Backward Classes (Muslims)
Those who have not availed three free chances so far in any of the previous recruitments may avail exemption from payment of examination fee.
Should not have availed three free chances in any of the previous recruitments.
Those who have not availed two free chances so far in any of the previous recruitments may avail exemption from payment of examination fee.
(i) Should not have availed two free chances in any of the previous recruitments.
(ii) Fee concession will not apply to those who have already been recruited to any class or service or category
(i) The three / two free chances referred to above are not for EACH POST but for ANY THREE / TWO APPLICATIONS ONLY. The claim for exemption from payment of examination fee made in any application, which has been rejected/admitted or withdrawn will be counted as free chance availed.
(ii) Failure to pay the prescribed Examination fee along with the application in time will be liable for rejection of the application.
(iii) The number of free chances availed by the applicant means, the total number of free chances hitherto availed by the applicant in his/her earlier application submitted to the Commission for any post/recruitment.
(iv) If the Examination fee concession claimed in the application is found to exceed the admissible limits as announced above, the application will be rejected at any stage of selection. The number of free chances availed by the applicants will be counted from all previous applications submitted through One Time Registration and/or submitted directly without One Time Registration.
Mode of Payment for Examination Fee:
Examination fee for Preliminary Examination Rs.100/- (Rupees One Hundred only) is payable by online through Net Banking/Credit card/Debit card or it can be paid by offline at State Bank of India / Indian Bank/post office within 2 days from the date of submission of online application by choosing the option in the online application.
The fee for Main Written Examination should be paid online by those who are to be admitted to the Main Written Examination, based on the result of Preliminary Examination, on receipt of intimation from the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission, unless exemption of fee is claimed.
Applicants have to register their basic particulars through One Time Registration which is mandatory on payment of Rs.150/- (Rupees One Hundred and Fifty only) towards registration fee and then should apply online for this recruitment. The One Time Registration will be valid for 5 years from the date of registration. Thereafter, the registration should be renewed by paying the prescribed fee. Applicants who had already registered in One Time Registration system by paying Rs.50/- before 01.03.2017 and having validity and those who have registered for a One Time Registration system are exempted from paying the registration fee for this recruitment.
Applicants have also to pay the service charges applicable to the State Bank of India / Indian Bank/ Post Office.
Applicants can avail exemption from paying the examination fee as per eligibility criteria.
Offline mode of payment in the form of Demand Draft / Postal Order etc., will not be accepted and the applications forwarded with such modes of payment will be summarily rejected.
Scheme of Examination
Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
Number of Questions
Minimum Qualifying Marks for Selection (All Communities)
General Studies (Degree Standard)
Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (S.S.L.C. Std.)
General Tamil / General English (S.S.L.C. Std.)
a. Two types of question papers will be set. One type of paper will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General English (100 items). The other will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General Tamil (100 items). Candidates are given the option to choose either General Tamil or General English for answering the second 100 items apart from answering the first (75+25) 100 items on General Studies.
b. The questions on General Studies will be set both in English and Tamil and the questions on General Tamil / General English will be set in the respective languages.
Main Written Examination & Oral Test
Minimum Qualifying Marks for Selection (All Communities)
Main Written Examination
General Studies (Degree Standard) (Descriptive Type)
Interview and Record
The question paper will be set both in Tamil and English. The general subjects/topics from which the questions will be asked are:
Role and impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India and Tamil Nadu.
Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu.
Socio Economic Problems of India and Tamil Nadu.
Current issues at the National level.
Current issues at the State level.
The applicants are allowed to answer the questions either fully in Tamil or fully in English.
TNPSC Group 2 Exam Syllabus:
Unit‐I General Science:
Unit‐II Current Events:
History and culture of India
Indian National Movement
Aptitude and Mental Ability Test
Hall Tickets for eligible applicants will be made available on the Commission’s website www.tnpsc.gov.in or www.tnpscexams.net or www.tnpscexams.in for downloading by applicants. Hall Tickets will not be sent by post. Hence, applicants should watch TNPSC website before the scheduled date of examination.
How to Download TNPSC Group 2 Hall Ticket:
Go to the official website
On the right-hand side "Candidate's Corner" menu will appear
From the given menu, click on the "On-line Services" button
Click on the "Hall Ticket Download" button just appeared in the drop-down list
The link will open a new window
Click on the "Hall Ticket Download" button given on the right-hand side menu
On clicking above, a notification details window will appear
Check on the notification number, date, exam name and click on the Activity column showing the "Download Hall Ticket" link
Login with Application Id and date of birth as given in the TNPSC Group 2 application
Download the hall ticket and download it for future reference.
The result of TNPSC Group 2 will be available online on https://www.tnpsc.gov.in/. However, the link to check the result will also be provided on this page once it is activated by the examination authority.
Steps to Check TNPSC Group 2 Result:
Go to the official website - tnpsc.gov.in
Click on the link TNPSC Group 2 Result
Candidates will have to enter the required login credentials
The rank and marks of candidates will be displayed on the screen
Download the scorecard and take its printout.
TNPSC Group 2 Selection Procedure
The selection will be made in three successive stages
(i) Preliminary Examination for selection of candidates for admission to the Main Written Examination
(ii) Main Written Examination
(iii) An Oral Test in the shape of an Interview.
The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only. The marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Written Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit. The number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Written Examination will be 10 times the number of candidates to be recruited having regard to the rule of reservation of appointments. However, in each reservation group, all the candidates who secure the same marks as that of cut off marks of their reservation groups shall also be admitted to the Main Written Examination, though the number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Written Examination may exceed 1:10 ratio.
1. First, the selection will be made for the carried forward vacancies. [Section 27 of the Tamil Nadu Government Servants (Conditions of Service) Act, 2016]
2. Secondly, the selection will be made for regular vacancies following the rule of reservation.
3. Thirdly, the selection against shortfall vacancies will be made from among SC/ST applicants only. The reservation for Women, Ex-servicemen and Differently Abled Persons will not be applicable for the recruitment of shortfall vacancies. [Section 27(h) of the Tamil Nadu Government Servants (Conditions of Service) Act, 2016].
No Objection Certificate
No Objection Certificate obtained from appropriate authority should be produced at the time of certificate verification failing which, the application will be rejected.